Friday, July 9, 2010

Risking my ass (cheek 2)


It was the night of the recent Times Square scare. Nerves were on edge. The hordes of tourists knew something drastic was happening, but the cops, when asked, said things like "You'll read about it in the papers tomorrow.", or "There was a fire in a car.", or "It's nothing, folks. Now keep moving." Many streets were closed and strategies had to be devised to get to one's destination.
I frequently visit the area to take photos of people in crowds and it was obvious to me the atmosphere was very different that night. The tourists were skittish. Suspicious. Alarmed. Just under the surface, panic lurked
I had no idea what the "nothing, folks" was but was thrilled by its results on my subjects' faces as I flashed them mercilessly. Not only were they, as usual, angry and surprised; they were frightened as well. Who could ask for a better mix of emotions for the lens?
I took more than 500 photos that night. Editing them was a delightful task.
Here's one of my favorites. "If looks could kill..." came to mind when I first saw these amiable folks glaring at me from the Mac.

5 comments:

  1. They probably thought you were FBI getting pictures of a "developing situation" in the crowd. I had the pleasure of flashing my pearly whites at a police photographer during a demonstration. They probably fear as I still do that my image is tacked up at police headquarters somewhere under the "menace" category :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now concerned! Please do not take such risks!!! I can't afford to lose a buddy like you!! Those looks are worse than those from MsPrettyShoes :D
    -Apar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    Thanks to your risks, we are entertained ... and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor :)

    Bravo to you, and your passion for photography !

    bk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiran....I'm sure something like that occurred to them. I was thinking surveillance footage, including images of my companion and me, would be saved and scrutinized. The special, individual attention they got from me must have been....distressing, especially once they had time to think about it. Things were REALLY tense that night.

    Thanks for your concern, Aparna. But I need to keep getting pics like this and risking the now-famous JewAss is the only way I can get them. The risk is built into situation that makes the images possible.
    I'll be posting some more photos that will make you worry for my survival in the days that come. (If I do, indeed, survive, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BK....The risks are more than worth it if I can entertain you and my other friends.
    And the adrenaline rush of almost erotic fear at the time I take the photos is amazing.
    Frequently, I don't realize how dangerous it was until I get home and examine the raw hatred on the faces of my subjects. I don't fully notice it in the heat of the moment.
    Again, thanks for your encouraging words. They might well lead to my demise, but it will have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete