Saturday, July 10, 2010

My ass, still on the line




By 9:30, the night of the Times Square scare, things were truly tense. Theater-goers were trapped in the snarl and confusion. People could not reach their cars, hotels or other destinations.
New York's Finest, surprisingly, were acting like perfect assholes, herding people around in a most offensive manner - barking orders and exacerbating the unpleasantness.
The corn-fed tourists were in a tizzy; wide-eyed, intimidated, they saw their dream-trip to the Big Apple morph into a nightmare.
The flash of my camera always alarms people in crowds. It's a type of photography I've become fond of. But this was gold! The subjects were already wary, scared, defensive - their reflexes primed for disaster.
My Canon emits some preparatory flashes in order to focus. This consists of a barrage of blinding pops of light. By the time the shutter opens, an unprepared person in the line of fire feels as if assaulted by a photon machine gun. And the second and third shots - the "deer-in-the-headlights" ones - produce the most satisfying results.
Luckily, so preoccupied am I with the logistics of shooting, I'm largely unaware of the danger. This I see later, when editing the photos. I do, though, catch glimpses of contorted faces, and attack or defense positions. But before they can affect my nerve, I've marauded on down the sidewalk, flashing away at fresh prey.
So far, nothing bad has happened to me, though I've taken thousands of photos under these conditions.
These are two delightful reactions to my full frontal assault.

8 comments:

  1. This: "But before they can affect my nerve, I've marauded on down the sidewalk, flashing away at fresh prey" is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy is thrash metal T-shirt seems to be getting his fist ready to punch you or something. I'm genuinely worried about your JewAss, Allie. Amusing stuff this is, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Your Grimness.
    It's so much fun writing all this. I love it.
    I'll let you know when there's more.

    Edu, I do believe he was clenching his fist as a reflex aggressive reaction.
    As to this stuff being amusing, you can chuckle all the way to my last rites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Deer in the headlights" is right with the second one. The first one...well is he clenching his fist to indicate he is going to punch you?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like an instinctive attack posture, headtrip. When I saw the pic, I realized I might have been close to getting hurt for the first time as a result of my provocative technique.
    It's impossible to resist pressing on with this though. The results are so interesting and unpredictable. It seems a gold mine, though a perilous one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guy in the first pic looks slightly scary !Like he is gonna thulp u

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a dangerous thing I do out there, Anita. I realize it when I see the pics. But I won't stop. I don't want fear to make this source of interesting images disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan the guy in the Thrash Metal T-shirt wants to have you for dinner. As a matter of fact, your ass IS his dinner. Could you pass me his number please? :-D

    ReplyDelete